Sunday, August 9, 2009

When is it enough to say you did your best ?

I stopped talking about what's happening to 'just anyone' months ago, but there were/are still a few very special people, I continued attempting to reach. However, I've now come to a point where I can't continue to put energy where there is no action on their part.

Part of preparing emotionally, will include 'letting go' of loved ones who aren't doing their own homework, and have concluded they prefer to go along with the crowd and think you are crazy. It is what it is; move forward and don't look back. If they don't see the need to prepare by now, it is doubtful they will. Remember the old saying: 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.' ? Just enjoy them and don't even try to talk about what they find too disturbing and pure craziness. Love them while you can.

It's a little like gardening: you prepare the soil, plant a seed, sometimes it grows and sometimes it fails. Enjoy the fruit of your labors instead of thinking about the seeds that failed to germinate.

Ergo: rest your heart. Your words fell on deaf ears; so what? You did your best and that's all you can do regarding others; even when they are people you love the most. Now get to work and finish up your preps and stop talking about it 'cept with those who are doing the same. It's time to toughen up; you can't single handedly save those who won't help themselves, though you may be able to plan for a few. If you don't have the resources, then you don't have the resources. Share what you can, and don't fret the rest. Play with the guitar frets instead ! Yes, that means: don't forget how to play and laugh, smile and sing as often as possible ie. it may be work not to lose your humanity amongst the stress and strife. Hug someone now and then.

If you must cry about it, do it now; there won't be time later.

With a salute to my fellow 'canaries' ! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Good advise Kiki. Lately, I have been thinking that I may literally never see my parents again because they are stalling a move to my area. This is so sad to me! But what can I do? I have my children to care for. So I concentrate on prepping them and on prepping for them. They are getting it at least, not because they believe me when I warn them but because its something interesting to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize ! When I began to realize how much these 'little concerns' were sapping my energy, I decided to face them each, head on. Measured next to what I may have to face in the future, it seemed the best course of action. I think emotional preps ie. intangible, sometimes get lost or minimized when measured next to more tangible ones.

    I think concentrating on what we can do makes a lot more sense than thinking and worrying over what we can't. Kudos to you for knowing what you need to do !

    Congrats too for all you are accomplishing re: preps ! There must be lots of satisfaction of seeing things 'shape up' :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome !